Friday, January 4, 2008

Zaca Fire Out, and the Effects Linger Still


When I last wrote about the Zaca Fire 16Sept07, this huge fire was contained, and not yet out. While today's heavy rains, in addition to 2"+ of rain of two weeks ago has the fire out the fire is still causing problems.


Many of my friends in Santa Barbara, Montecito and Carpinteria have reported huge amounts of Zaca Ash being deposited on their homes, patios, decks and cars. The culprit? Sundowner and/or Santa Ana winds. These strong winds pick up the ash on the ground left from the Zaca Fire and can deliver it for dozens of miles downwind. From my new home in El Capitan State Beach 15 miles west of Santa Barbara, I could see the dark cloud extending into the Santa Barbara Channel all the way past the Channel Islands - 25 miles to sea to the south.


The photo above was taken a bit closer than El Cap State Beach, from Goleta near Atascadero Creek overlooking a remnant patch of agricultural land. Streets in Santa Barbara have looked like the "Old West" with dust being kicked up by passing cars. Today's rain should settle the dust, and wash it out to sea.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!
Thank you for putting up this site. I've moved to Cornell, WI in mid December from Beautiful Lompoc, Santa Barbara County area. I'm a bit home sick. Found your site when searching info about sulfur shelf. Hope you'll update often so I can check in and see how my beloved SB county is doing. Love all the pics you got too.

Regards,
Terri