Thursday, January 17, 2008

A New Year at El Capitan State Beach

The beginning of a New Year can't happen until the old one is finished. This year finds Jeanne and me still in Santa Barbara County, thirty miles west (northward on the 101) of the Rincon where we were so fortunate to 'over summer' in an apartment of most-generous friends, our 'housing benefactors' as I described them to others.

We are now official State of California Campground Hosts at El Capitan State Beach - and still seeking our next adventure - and being certain to enjoy THIS adventure in the meantime! More on the search in another posting.

Always a bit of 'a naturalist' since my youth without television in St. Pete, FL, my work over the past twenty years has taken me more inside the office and in front of the computer. Over the past ten months I have had much more flexibility to be in nature and have reveled in that opportunity. I hope I do not lose that natural connection to a new adventure.

This photo shows the very last flash of sunlight on the very last day of 2007. Looking westward over the Pacific on El Capitan Beach, the foreground is busy with the 'cairn work' of holiday campers. Sort of Stonehenge-like, I think.

Now looking to the eastern sky, the 'rock people' welcome the very first light of 2008 at El Cap State Beach. These celestial bookends celebrate a coming and a going of time at the turn of a New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out what site i stayed in before... it is right on the turn at the top, great view.... is it 80 or 78, 82?