Sunday, May 3, 2009

Western Tanager & Chestnut-backed Chickadees at El Cap

While marine layer (read FOG!) can create some great views - here the Santa Ynez Mtns from the beach at El Capitan State Beach - the fog is not so fun for taking BIRD PHOTOS.

However, this morning's fog would prove to come and go. Here I was given a modest view of a Chestnut-backed Chickadee.

This is a bit clearer - the brown color is quite evident on the bird's back. While mostly known from north of Santa Barbara County (I have seen them every time I've been to Oso Flaco Park in southern San Luis Obispo Co.), this small colony has apparently become established at El Cap only in the past ten years or so.

The fog did it's work, allowing for good color saturation - if you can find the bird.... Like the chickadees, the Western Tanagers were feeding on small green caterpillers (worms) that in turn were feeding on the Western Sycamores - leaving them with holes akin to a lacey handkerchief.

Ahhh, yes the fog can be photographed!

See many more photos of this walkabout - with many other birds on my Flickr site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Debbie DiMascio. Remember me? I like your blog!

Wondering if you would be willing to serve as a professional reference for me, and I'd also like to catch up. It looks like you're exploring opportunities yourself?

I hope all is well with you and Jeanne.

And by the way, my email is safe - no longer sends crap to everyone.

I couldn't find an email address for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

My email is debbiedimascio@hotmail.com.

Debbie
330-606-0097

Anonymous said...

Mike, Thanks for the very colorful slideshow of your Sunday walkabout. The fruits are facinating. Have you tried Durian yet? I hope you have found the right apartment for you and Jeanne to share. The adventure will be even better with her there to share it.
Carol Terry