Thursday, September 25, 2008

When is Vermillion NOT Red???

Well, I can tell you that when it comes to the Vermillion Flycatchers that I have seen - there ain't nothin' red!

The Vermillion Flycatcher is one of those birds that I have really looked forward to seeing. Growing up in Florida, I was certainly exposed to some great birds - like the Roseate Spoonbill - that looks sorta like a small flamingo with a lot of beak that got flattened by a steamroller. Pretty crazy to be able to see such a bird where I worked - along Sarasota Bay at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.

However, NO Vermillion Flycatchers were to be seen. I read books. I've seen pictures. And the Vermillion Flycatcher (VF in birder-write) is a spectacular bird. Apparently as red as one of my very favorite birds, the Northern Cardinal, (why it's 'Northern' Cardinal when seen in the Heart of the Ol' South..??) the VF adult male has a brilliant red cap, throat and 'underparts', contrasted with very black eyeline/mask, nape, back, wings and tail. Sheesh! What a bird to see! And now I live in the southwest USA where the VF live. Cool.

So when I read on the local Santa Barbara, CA 'bird alert' group that a Vermillion Flycatcher had been seen only 30 miles up the coast at Gaviota State Beach, my wife and I headed out. After a dry run and literally no birds at Refugio State Beach, we zoomed ten more miles up the coast to Gaviota State Beach. Jeanne quickly spotted a 'new bird'. She's quite good at this. Not only does she see birds very well, she is also able to quickly discern if we have seen the bird before. Handy to have around!

Sure enough, in a struggling Western Sycamore, planted at Campsite #29, we had found our bird! Sound the drums! Here is the bird I had been waiting for!

Nooooo???!!! How can this be? Where's the freakin' Vermillion? With the mask?



So I have officially seen a Vermillion Flycatcher. Simply turns out this one is a juvenile bird (likely a female), with typical coloration(for a VF juvenile female). There will be more. This one can't be the only one in a vermillion. Guess I'll have to go back and keep lookin' for a MATURE MALE VF that will actually be RED!

Vermillion Flycatcher (juvenile female) on introduced/escaped Nicotiana.

No comments: