Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Blog is BAAACK with WHALES at Avila

After a two-year adventure to live and work in Singapore, my wife Jeanne and I moved back to California - about 90 minutes north from my last posting location, Santa Barbara and El Capitan State Beach.

We now live in San Luis Obispo, one of the "Happiest Places on Earth" as you can read in Dan Buettner's book Thrive. He actually lists each of the happiest places from four world regions - and chooses Singapore as the happiest place for Asia! So, we moved from one happy place to another! On occasion there's enough happiness around to make you want to slap someone, it's just so darn hap-hap-happy all the time.

This week we have all witnessed the hurricane reinvasion of Louisana and Mississippi, and a few weeks before my friends in Oklahoma City were counting days not above 100F, but those above 105F! Here in San Luis Obispo? No rain since April and notably warm days reach the low 80s. No hurricanes. No tornadoes. Here, no ice, no snow. What do we have? Wildfire season, mudslide season and the earthquakes never go out of season.

The outdoors is always enjoyable here and hiking and biking are rather popular with many locals to hike, good roads with bike lanes to ride - and also trails for mountain biking. We've settled into seeking birds and other wildlife - the most recent pulse even made national news - the Feeding Frenzy of Avila Beach or YouTube.

We went out for a look for ourselves - what a show! I took a first-ever video from my D90 Nikon:



  
Yet with my Nikon set for regular photos, the action was still crazy. We sat on the shore, only a few feet away from the curb and the car - on a bluff about 20' above the beach. Anchovies. LOTS of them. Must have been about a zillion, I figure to raise all that ruckus of whales, pelicans, dolphins, harbor seals and sea lions - not to say a ton of gulls.

Whales were lunge-feeding. I haven't heard of anyone getting hurt. Amazing.

I bet whale breath is nasty.

SO many Brown Pelicans!

With more digesting and waiting another turn.

These pelicans are simply too tired and too full from all the frenzy.

Everything is laid back in SLOCO (San Luis Obispo County).

The Sooty Shearwaters were not to be outdone, as some 10,000++ were only a bit farther offshore.



Click on any photo to see larger images of all photos in this post.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of
us have developed some nice practices and we
are looking to exchange techniques with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.


my web site new ways to make money